Immigration
Over the next weeks and months the debate will rage in our nation over what to do about immigration. Unfortunately, as happens all too often, the extremes on either side seem to be driving the debate and dividing us into seemingly irreconcilable camps. By doing so, they set up a situation where nothing gets done and the situation worsens and becomes more contentious. History has shown us time and time again that such scenarios only lead toward violence, something none of us wants.
My purpose in creating this blog is to present a forum or venue for sincere, cordial, and honest dialogue about a very complex issue. Anyone, on either side of this debate, who says this is not a complicated issue is naïve at best, or completely disingenuous at worst. Together, let’s see if we can come up with some workable solutions. Surely, the solutions we come up with will not please everyone. Perhaps that is how we will know we have reached the right compromise-when no one has received all they want, but everyone has received some parts they desire. Surely we are a good enough people, smart enough, forgiving enough, and resourceful enough that we can put everything on the table and figure out what is in the best interest of our country and all the parties involved. In doing so, I think it is important to look at our country’s history to ensure we do not make some of the same mistakes we have made in the past.
In an effort to be intellectually honest, I need to let you know a little about me and which way I lean on this issue. I live in Utah, and I am an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I spent the 19th and 20th years of my life as a missionary for the Church in Bolivia. While there I developed a great love for the Hispanic people. Time and time again they shared what little food or other resources they had with me. Though they lived in grass or mud dwellings, I watched them go without to ensure that I, or one of my missionary companions, was well taken care of. Though I had multiple suits to wear and they had one change of clothing, I believe they would have given me the shirt off their backs if I had needed one. While there, I saw desperation and poverty like I had never witnessed in my life before or since. What I witnessed and experienced is typical of many parts of Latin America. I can empathize with their desire to get out. I know I kissed the ground of the Miami airport when I returned.
Now, do I think my experiences in Bolivia may have tainted a little of my objectivity on the immigration issue? I would say most definitely! I would be less than honest to say otherwise. However, while recognizing the impact those experiences have had on me, I am still capable of looking objectively at other points of view. I only hope that all of us will be able to look objectively at our life’s experiences so we can each identify what may be driving the feelings on both sides of the fence and especially our own feelings on this issue. And again, in recognizing the source of our leanings, each is in a better position to listen objectively to someone of a differing perspective.
If you find this forum to be useful and a cordial place for honest dialogue, then please pass it along to others whom you believe can also contribute in a respectful way. To begin the dialogue, what suggestions would you offer to facilitate objective dialogue on the issue of immigration?
NEXT TOPIC:
As the debate has raged, both sides have had a lot to say about racism and prejudice. What exactly is racism or prejudice? Are these topics influenced more by skin color? Economics? Start thinking about it.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment